Friday, September 14, 2007

Any press is.....

Summary Paragraph: Menin thanks Eaton for letting people know about blog, admits to be occasionally short-winded, and restates belief that it may be a disservice to take complex issues and reduce them to short talking points. He suggests using a summary paragraph at the beginning of each post to i.d. important points, and allow interested readers to read the entire post for more elaboration. He also points out to his constant dialogue with community members about issues.

(that wasn't so painful...)

A tip of the hat to Mary Baker Eaton's blog
who took the time to mention my efforts here and those of Ward 4 Candidate Ed Cameron to use the blog format as one way to create a dialogue with the community. I think her take on things is pretty accurate; I am long-winded at times (although she probably would've been more accurate if she said I can be short-winded at times; I do feel great passion about these issues. I want the community to appreciate that complex problems can't be solved by simply cutting them like the Gordian knot.

I believe that transparency- a word that few people used until I campaigned in 2001- requires two things. Access to all information, and a public willing to speak it's mind, be heard and see that feedback can have a constructive impact; and also a public that can absorb information and use it to make a decision.

What we face with the Schools is not plastic surgery, it is a much more transforming effort. Decisions we make now may affect classrooms ten years from now. We are in the situation we are in partially because no-one thought that way before.

But Mary is right. If people need short soundbites, I'll work towards that. Maybe I'll stay longwinded for those who like information, but provide a one paragraph summary for those who want me to cut to the chase. And I'll write that paragraph last, but place it first in the posting.

Sounds like a compromise to me.

Oh, and while I am going door to door to hear what people think, don't forget that I spent the entire spring listening to hundreds of people, from hearings, to door-to-door, to debates. I continue to learn about their concerns every day, through e-mails, phone calls, and simple conversation. Because the elected position of School Com member serves the whole city, I am constantly stopped on the street, at the playground, while shopping to hear the issues from concerned citizens. Ask my family, and they'll tell you I am engaged with those folks.

Thanks, MBE. With The 'Toad a memory, I agree that blogs are becoming critical to community outreach.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Decisions we make now may affect classrooms ten years from now. We are in the situation we are in partially because no-one thought that way before."

Great short "sound bite."

Mary

Mary Baker Eaton
The Newburyport Blog
www.newburyportblog.com