Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I heard it through the grapevine...

In the interest of full disclosure: I took my training to work with Montessori Students age 6-9 with Margaret Shields, who is the sister of Dr. Cathi (sp?) Heap.

Dr. Heap is one of the foremost literacy and reading experts in the country. She is a dynamic speaker, an inspirational teacher, and absolutely terrific with kids; she is especially magical working one on one with those who had learning difficulties. Apparently, Dr. Lyons had known her from previous experience, because he brought her into Newburyport as a consultant on literacy issues in the school system (as in LITERACY ISSUES). I was delighted when I heard she was working here, several months after she had begun.

Over the summer, she offered a two week workshop for teachers on Guided Reading.

I recently stopped by the Nock to drop off some Montessori materials for her deliver to her sister. I arrived about 30 minutes after the class had ended, and found the room was still filled with teachers, talking with great excitement in groups of two and three. I checked in with them about the workshop and they were very enthusiastic, and talked about the immediate applications they would be able to make now that the each grade was working in the same building.

I handed Dr. Heap the materials for Margaret, and without any prompting, she shared a little bit of her experience of the last several months working with the teachers, students and the School Administration.

"I really have come to love this town," she told me.
"And you guys should know how close you really are to turning things around. The teachers are ready, and excited, you have the best leadership possible in Dr. Lyons and his team. Bringing the grades together, you've already solved a lot of problems. Everything is place, once you can figure out how to fund it, to take this system to another level. You guys are soooo close."

Nice to get a little unsolicited positivity from a relatively objective and highly respected educational professional.

No comments: