Thursday, August 23, 2007

School Committee Candidates Forum

The "i's" are dotted and every last one of those "t's" are crossed (another victory for literacy in Newburyport), and I am pleased to announce that there is a scheduled Forum for all Newburyport School Committee candidates.

I'm sure there will be others, but my goal all along (as it was the last time I ran) is to make sure that the candidates get a chance to talk to the community, to each other, and then open to questions from the audience- no moderator, no prepared questions, just a timekeeper to make sure we stay within the agreed to guidelines for making opening statements.

We are all adults, we are not running against each other but for the same goal, so I think it will work.

All candidates, and members of the community. Please join me at the Program Room of the Newburyport Public Library on Wednesday night, October 17th, from 7:00 PM to 8:45(ish), knowing that the Library closes precisely at 9:00 PM.

I told the library I'd provide some refreshments; if any of you want to help with water and caviar let me know.

If the forum has unfinished business at that point, maybe we can head down to the Cafe Di' Sienna and finish up.

Unlike the candidate-debate debacle in Amesbury, I have no problem setting this up, and no vested interest in making anyone look bad. I genuinely think the community deserves a full dialogue, and have set up 60 chairs, hoping the community will come. Too few? Too many?
Maybe community access cable will be solid enough to cover it live, or at least tape it, by then.
(What about it, Sarah Hayden?)

Let me know, candidates (although I'll try to contact y'all directly) if you can be there.

Clothing optional.

No comments: