Sunday, August 19, 2007

"Talk To Me"

In an effort to ensure that each School Committee candidate gets to speak about their ideas in a forum other than a choreographed debate or a 10 second, oft-misquoted sound-bite, I am almost able to confirm that I have reserved the Program Room at the Public Library for a Candidate's Forum in late October.

My hope is that we won't have a moderator, but will have a timekeeper. We'll draw names from a hat, and in the order selected each candidate will get up to five minutes to share their concerns and ideas; then we'll question each other, and finally open the floor to questions from the community. You can't do a Lincoln-Douglas style forum with six people; but maybe this is close and informal enough.

I have had some incredibly interesting conversations with a friend about a You-Tube type of debate, but it make take more planning than I have time for.

There may be other "debates" which will be more formal. I hate to cut out the middle man (person? persons? corporations?), but I do have faith that the community will find this type of event useful.

I should know by Monday.

Oh, and obviously every candidate for School Committee is invited; I may ask y'all to share the burden of publicizing the debate.

Thoughts on proper attire can be communicated to me by e-mail. I already know I'm not going to wear a hat.

No comments: